Health Care for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: Toolkit for Primary Care Providers
Adults with intellectual or other developmental disabilities face a cascade of health disparities. They often:
- have complex or difficult-to-treat medical conditions
- have difficulty accessing health care
- may receive inadequate health care
- may have difficulties expressing their symptoms and pain
- receive little attention to wellness, preventive care, and health promotion
Yet these adults deserve quality, patient-centered health care as well as the general population.
Our hope is that this toolkit will give virtually every U.S. primary care provider electronic access to best practice tools, and thus will enable each physician to more readily serve adults with intellectual or other developmental disabilities.